Saturday, July 29, 2006

Children Learn What They Live

From My Own Little Corner We are going to have an election in November. I know, I know, the news is full of all kinds of news about what is going on overseas. The killings, the bombings, the conflict that is ongoing in the middle East, Iraq, famine, and oh so many other things. Here in this country, things are really not much better. Just yesterday, an U. S. citizen from Pakistan opened fire on a Jewish center in Seattle. He killed 1 woman and wounded 5 others, 3 critically. In my small town they just arrested a group of juveniles for doing more than $25,000 in damages in two subdivisions. They painted racial slurs and vulgar language on vehicles and houses and tampered with mailboxes. This was done in a 2 day period. One has to wonder where they learn this stuff. Could it be that they are inundated daily with stories of intolerance and hatred on television, radio, and maybe even in their own homes? I have heard so many people ridicule the religious and political beliefs of others, that at times it turns my stomach. What happened to the freedom of religion, the freedom of speech, and the right to an opinion? I have a friend that is a Latter Day Saint, her son is one of my son's best friends. They are truly very kind and generous people with great senses of humor and would give the shirt off their backs if asked. Yet, they are told almost daily that they are going to hell because they are not Christians, by the people that claim to be Christians. Is this the message that we are sending our children, that if others don't believe as we do that they are not only wrong, but also damned? I hope that I have taught my children that all people are equal, that they all deserve the right to voice their own opinions and beliefs, and that they should respect the God given rights of all peoples. This is sometimes hard to do when they are confronted with bigotry and hatred on a daily basis. Still, I try, and I try to set a good example. The only intolerance that I have is with ignorance. Ignorance comes from opening your mouth before you know what you are talking about. My father-in-law used to say that your teeth are like a gate, if you don't open them nothing stupid gets out. We need to teach our children that even though all of us don't have the same beliefs and ideals, we are all still equal and deserve to be treated with a modicum of respect. I can only hope that they will learn this lesson and pass it on to their children. Maybe someday all the leaders of our world will learn this lesson and teach it to the people of their countries. Then they can pass it on to their children. I know that there millions who also believe in this doctrine and maybe soon they will all stand up and be heard. One can only hope. Then we can all live in a world without hate and war. Until next time, pray for peace and enlightenment and may your God bless and keep you and yours.

No comments:

WHY THE ACA IS A DIRE NECESSITY FOR ME

From My Own Little Corner     I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1993, and for the next 21 years, I had no insurance. I used Urgent Care Centers,...